Friday, June 15, 2012

Oh wow, is it actually going to let me post an update?  That would be so cool.  (copied almost verbatim from my new Tumblr, that I made with Blogspot wasn't letting me log in.

Planning to start posting a weekly-kind-of summary of current events called Happy/Sad/Weird.  In it, I would summarize all of the news that I have read over the week into a few blurbs and invite commentary.  Like so.
Happy: The reproductive revolution.  Women choose not to be baby factories, ALL OF EARTH’S PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED.  Eventually, guys.  The effects aren’t gonna happen overnight.  
Sad: Google Syria right now. Result: Syria is a nightmare hellscape of blood, screaming, and the tears of the innocent.  Weapons go in, tanks with children tied to them as shields come out.  Russia and China don’t care.  They just want to sell guns.
Weird: Giant spiders attacking people in India.  They aren’t poisonous, but would you want a giant spider flinging itself at you, fangs out?  Apparently, unlike most gentle arachnids who would rather flee than bite a being hundreds to thousands of times their size, these guys get enraged and attack anything that moves near them.
This is just a sampling of what caught my attention in current news.  Any thoughts?
I also want to feature an extinct animal on my blog in every post.  I love extinct animals.  Especially dinosaurs and marine reptiles.  I think we should start with my favorite dinosaur, Troodon.  
When I was little, I drew my first comics, starring human-sized, bipedal, omnivorous dinos that relied on intelligence to outwit a bully tyrannosaur.  I had seen them on a tv special, but did not remember what they were called.  The dino was never mentioned in books, so I for a long time I figured I must have been thinking of ostrich or raptor dinosaurs and drawing them wrong. Later I found out that the oft overlooked animal was Troodon! 
This roughly man-sized, feathery little predator captured my heart because it was one of the smartest- if not the smartest- dinosaurs of all time.  Of all time!  I have always preferred bipedal dinosaurs, and meat-eaters at that, because the big plant eaters remind me of cows.  Few things are more boring than cows, you guys.  Seriously.  Troodon was a little guy compared to other dinos, meaning it probably lost kills to enterprising Tyrannosaurs and had to be careful at all times to avoid becoming a meal itself. This might seem silly, but the idea of tough little Troodon making it in the big scary world of dinosaurs gave me confidence in facing the big scary world of public school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment